Sunday, June 21, 2009

Letters from Yali

Greetings and Salutations from the PRC,

I'm currently developing my next video, but in the meantime, I wanted to write something a bit more meaningful.

This evening, Jason (my Yali partner) and I received hundreds (literally) of letters each from the pool of kids from which will come our future students. I wanted to share one with you:

---

Dear Chris,

I'm glad to hear this message. I know that we will welcome two new teachers to Yali School. So. I'm exciting for your coming. So I want to know some information about you. Because my classmate's name is same to you, he loves basketball very much. Do you like NBA? If you like, I think we can be the best friend. If you can teach us, I think we can know you more. So I am looking forward to meeting you. Do you like Chinese food? like HuNan food. It's very hot, but I think you will love. Let's be friends. Welcome home!

Ruins.

---

I found these letters incredibly moving, and this one in particular struck me. "Welcome home!" Although I am very much a stranger in a strange land, attempting to speak a language that I barely know in a culture I barely understand, I've been shocked at how accessible everything and everyone seems to be.

Overall, it's been a fantastic start, and I really am starting to feel at home.

-cy

4 comments:

  1. That's adorable. I'm glad you're settling in well, and I can't wait to hear about your students! Skype date soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...you're gonna teach them basketball, right? And you're gonna film that and post it, right? I mean, it is a vlog!

    ReplyDelete